[Dovecot] Shared Mailboxes, Per User SEEN flag and Mailing lists

Peter Fern dovecot at obfusc8.org
Sun Nov 20 05:44:07 EET 2005

Ted Strzalkowski wrote:

> Now, correct me if I'm wrong.  Although the symlink option would work,
> wouldn't he have to run Dovecot rootless then?  And I believe that is a
> security risk then, no?

I don't think that's necessary, though there may need to be some
experimentation with file permissions on the dovecot-shared file to get
the right combination of permissions.  As I say - this is all
hypothetical to me - I haven't actually tried it.

> Public folders should be a bit easier than symlinks which seems to be
> quite
> a kludge.  I have experience with the public folders in MS Exchange,
> but not
> in IMAP or anything.  It has to be possible without a kludge.  But, then
> again, I'm probably wrong.
>
> TedSki

The namespace options allow 'real' public folders, but this is global -
all users see the mailbox, which is not what is needed here - it's an
opt-in setup, so... symlinking is necessary.

Cheers,
Pete