[Dovecot] a proposal to increase the stability

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Tue Nov 15 13:32:29 EET 2005

> What I am thinking of is to run those tests before anything new is
> released. On the other hand I cannot even estimate how much work would
> be needed for this ...
>
> Udo Rader

You could develop a test suite using something like perl.
The approach would be run beat the hell out of all the functionality
that dovecot provides and validate the input/output against what is
expected.  It's a black-box style of testing, but it would help indicate
any potential problems.   It was through my own version of this that I
found there are some limitations to how many UIDS I can transmit at one
time.  But who expects >10,000 UIDS in a single call?

Between running IMAP calls to localhost and inspecting the local
filesystem directly, I suspect a really nice test suite could be
developed.  Interestingly, most of it could apply to more than just
dovecot if you seperate testing for IMAP/Maildir standard formats from
dovecot particulars (like indexing?).