[Dovecot] Asserion Failure in Current CVS

Anders Lund anders.lund at uninett.no
Fri Nov 11 11:04:02 EET 2005

Anders Lund wrote:
> Todd Burroughs wrote:
>
>>Anders,
>>
>>Try running the current CVS version.  Timo fixed a few things since Oct.
>>31 and I haven't seen an assert or any failure in 5 days now.
>

> Just upgraded to nightly from 2005-11-09 now. Tailing my log for
> assertion failures now and crossing my fingers again. ;-)
>
> Correcting my settings for locking in Postfix and Dovecot (to have the
> same priorities as Procmail) might have given some good results as well.
>
> And for one user I discovered another problem:
>  * running "file" on mboxes showed:
>    "ISO-8859 mail text, with CRLF, LF line terminators"
>    which I fixed with "dos2unix" on the mboxes (still some of these
>    have "ISO-8859 mail text, with CR, LF line terminators")
>  * in addition some messages had wrong date stamp, which I fixed with
>    "sed -i 's/Jan 1 /Jan 01 /' *"
> this at least made the mboxes readable for pine, which had previous
> problems. It also seemed to remove "assertion failed" with dovecot for
> this user.

Just a short update: Since upgrade to the nightly build from 2005-11-09
I've had no assertion failed. It seems a lot more stable on my system
now, so the combination of:
 * setting correct locking priority (dotlock before fcntl in
Dovecot/Postfix, to comply with Procmail)
 * correcting mboxes (typically this is mboxes moved from local
Thunderbird folders on laptops running Windows to the IMAP server)
 * upgrading to the latest nightly from 2005-11-09
seemed to be a good solution for me. Thanks for the suggestions I've got!

One final issue I've seen: Thunderbird 1.0.7 sometimes seems to go into
a state of being unable to contact the IMAP server (when accessing a new
folder). When this has happened I've quit Thunderbird, but can still see
imap process running on the server. If I restart Thunderbird I get a new
imap process, and the old one is still running. This is perhaps a client
issue? Have others seen this?

- Anders

--
 Anders Lund <Anders.Lund at uninett.no>             .~.
 UNINETT, N-7465 Trondheim, Norway               / V \