[Dovecot] Asserion Failure in Current CVS

Michael Paesold mpaesold at gmx.at
Mon Nov 7 15:19:44 EET 2005

Anders Lund wrote:
> Tomi Hakala wrote:
>> Anders Lund wrote:
>>
>>>Anyhow, I don't understand what is so special about my setup,
>>>and why I should get these failures.
>>

>> All I can think of is that you have some locking issue which is
>> causing mbox corruption.
>
> When it comes to locking I have this:
>
> Postfix:
> mailbox_delivery_lock = fcntl, dotlock
>
> Dovecot:
> lock_method = fcntl
> mbox_read_locks = fcntl dotlock
> mbox_write_locks = fcntl dotlock
>
> "procmail -v" gives me:
> Locking strategies:     dotlocking, fcntl()
>
> I thought this should work fine, but if you spot any possible problems
> give me a hint.

The documentation for dovecot and other mail software says, not only the
locking methods but also the order of the methods used should match for all
software accessing an mbox file.

For Postfix and Dovecot, the methods are the same for your configuration,
but procmail uses them the other way round. So if you use procmail for mail
delivery, this *could* cause problems, I guess.

Can you try to set locking for postfix and dovecot mbox to "dotlock fcntl"
instead of "fcntl dotlock" and see if that improves your situation.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

PS. This is my first post to this list, so Hello! to everyone.