[Dovecot] Setup help

Patrick Ernst patrick at aroaustralia.com
Sun Nov 6 13:43:50 EET 2005

I'd previously had dovecot running on a Debian server but recently
migrated to Suse. The nice, simple setup for dovecot on debian is not as
easy using the dovecot sources. My lack of experience I'm afraid! I'd
like to continue to use dovecot, especially as my current maildir
directories are all set up ready to be use again.

On suse (sles9) I have users authenticating by LDAP. In /var/log/dovecot
I am getting errors like

dovecot: Oct 27 22:17:41 Warning: Killed with signal 2
dovecot: Oct 27 22:28:03 Error: auth(default): LDAP:
ldap_simple_bind_s() failed (dn uid=dovecot,ou=people,dc=aro,dc=home):
Protocol error

The errors also include the same LDAP error but with signal 11 or 15

I cannot get dovecot working. I've tried the 1.0 alpah and also found an
earlier version on the suse 10 DVD. Basically I'm looking to use the
IMAP server to centrally store emails on our home/business server.
Previously we've been downloading mails (POP) from various mail accounts
and moving them to dovecot (debian). In the future, I'd like to use
fetchmail to do this part and locally deliver mail.

My LDAP domain base is dc=aro,dc=home. I generally use this as the local
mail/DNS  domain as well. I have edited both /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
and dovecot-ldap.conf. When I run dovecot it fails to start. I wonder if
someone, in fairly broad ters could give me the steps for getting
dovecot running with LDAP authenticated users?

Regards

Patrick