[Dovecot] UID confusion

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 15:28:32 EEST 2005

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 28.6.2005, at 13:05, Andrew Hutchings wrote:
>
>> Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> Sounds a bit like the Thunderbird problem..
>>> ..
>>

>> Sounds like it, but that client was Outlook 2003, and I have had a
>> client using entourage with the same problem last week, it isn't a
>> very common problem.
>

> Outlook 2003 (and I suppose Entourage too) doesn't handle Dovecot's
> default POP3 UIDLs well. You should probably change them if you can.
> That may have caused this bug as well.
>
>   # Note that Outlook 2003 seems to have problems with %v.%u format
> which is
>   # Dovecot's default, so if you're building a new server it would be a
> good
>   # idea to change this. %08Xu%08Xv should be pretty fail-safe.

I was thinking of doing that and I'm sure there is a very good reason
why I didn't.  Sod the users if they want to store mail they should use
IMAP, change of UID time I think.
Quick question though, will a UID format change break anything
considering there are 6000 mailboxes in use (apart from mail storing users)?

Regards
Andrew

--
Andrew Hutchings (A-Wing) - Linux Guru