[Dovecot] pop3 retr error

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Mon Jun 27 15:06:54 EEST 2005

Jens Laas wrote:
> (05.06.26 kl.18:54) Marten Lehmann skrev följande till dovecot at dovecot.org:
>
>> Hi,

>>> Nope. That wasnt it.
>>

>> thanks for testing it, I didn't had the time to do it yet.
>> Since we couldn't live with this error, we switched back to
>> qmail-pop3d for the pop3 service, letting dovecot handle imap only. To
>> check if the error disappeared in current releases, I downloaded the
>> latest stable release 20050624. I compiled and installed it, but the
>> error still remained. Downloading of about 1649 messages stopped after
>> the 843rd message, again with the message "-ERR Message is deleted"
>> (src/pop3/commands.c, line 50).
>>
>> It is really important for us, that this bug is resolved. This shall
>> not sound like a threat, but we are indead evaluating a migration to
>> Courier IMAP (although I never liked it very much), but a stable pop3
>> service is essential for us. And we don't want to use qmail-pop3d,
>> because it doesn't log anything.
>

> To recap:
> I see this too. So far only with thunderbird. Do you Marten see it with
> other clients too ?
>
> The bug is really strange since everything I can log/see about the
> conversion between dovecot and tbird suggests tbird has the bug.
> BUT when I run tbird with other pop3 server it works.
>
> The error triggered is that tbird tries to download an already deleted
> message (infact it just deleted it). And if I restart tbird it will
> start download at the last deleted message (error again).
>
> I think our only hope is Timo or possibly some tbird developer.
>
> Cheers
> Jens

Ditto with various customers using test72.  All seem to be using
different mail clients.  Can't really see a pattern at all, small and
big Maildirs.  Deleting the UID list and indexes seems to fix it.  It
happens for about 2 customers in 6000 a week.

Regards
Andrew

--
Andrew Hutchings (A-Wing) - Linux Guru