[Dovecot] pop3 retr error

Jens Laas jens.laas at data.slu.se
Mon Jun 27 10:46:09 EEST 2005

(05.06.26 kl.18:54) Marten Lehmann skrev följande till dovecot at dovecot.org:

> Hi,
>
>>> Are the other POP3 servers advertising PIPELINING capability? Maybe try
>>> if this happen with it removed from Dovecot? (src/pop3/capability.h,
>>> rebuild).
>>
>> Nope. That wasnt it.
>
> thanks for testing it, I didn't had the time to do it yet.
> Since we couldn't live with this error, we switched back to qmail-pop3d for
> the pop3 service, letting dovecot handle imap only. To check if the error
> disappeared in current releases, I downloaded the latest stable release
> 20050624. I compiled and installed it, but the error still remained.
> Downloading of about 1649 messages stopped after the 843rd message, again
> with the message "-ERR Message is deleted" (src/pop3/commands.c, line 50).
>
> It is really important for us, that this bug is resolved. This shall not
> sound like a threat, but we are indead evaluating a migration to Courier IMAP
> (although I never liked it very much), but a stable pop3 service is essential
> for us. And we don't want to use qmail-pop3d, because it doesn't log
> anything.

To recap:
I see this too. So far only with thunderbird. Do you Marten see it with
other clients too ?

The bug is really strange since everything I can log/see about the
conversion between dovecot and tbird suggests tbird has the bug.
BUT when I run tbird with other pop3 server it works.

The error triggered is that tbird tries to download an already deleted
message (infact it just deleted it). And if I restart tbird it will start
download at the last deleted message (error again).

I think our only hope is Timo or possibly some tbird developer.

Cheers
Jens

> Regards
> Marten

     'This mail automatically becomes portable when carried.'
     Jens Låås                              Email: jens.laas at data.slu.se
     Department of Computer Services, SLU   Phone: +46 18 67 35 15
     Vindbrovägen 1
     P.O. Box 7079
     S-750 07 Uppsala
     SWEDEN