[Dovecot] Compressed maildir

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Fri Jun 17 02:50:59 EEST 2005

Xavier Beaudouin wrote:
> Well i the "compressed" maildir system can add a check to see if file is >
> to FS block size... then try to compress it..

In my original post I suggested a cron job compress the files, so it's easy to
vary which files get compressed, and when.  Something like (untested, and
pre-coffee):

find $MAILPATH ! -name "*.gz" -type f -atime +90 -size +1 -exec /usr/bin/gzip -9
{} ";"

> And IMHO I think it should be a good idea to add/merge the patch into main
> stream code (with a flag to allow compressed maildir)...

I certainly wouldn't object, and it sounds like Andrey and others like the idea,
too.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net