[Dovecot] strip realms and force lowercasing of usernames?

Dan Hollis test3943395 at anime.net
Wed Jun 15 23:11:54 EEST 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 03:16 -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > > PAM module only works for PAM passdb, Dovecot still does userdb lookup
> > > from /etc/passwd or wherever you have it.
> > PAM should be given a chance to modify the username dovecot uses to do the
> > userdb lookup with.
> Hmm. I remembered PAM wouldn't allow that, but looks like it does.
> Changed CVS version to support that now (non-tested though, but doesn't
> at least break the normal behavior).

I've thought some more about writing a PAM module, but what's the
solution for people who don't have pam and _must_ authenticate from
/etc/passwd,shadow (getpwnam, getspnam)?

Seems to me the only truly universal solution is to do this inside
dovecot. It already has code to mangle the username with modifiers for
mailspool location, so applying the same code to allow modifying username
would seem to be a logical and consistent extension of existing dovecot
behavior.

-Dan