[Dovecot] multiple authentication mechanisms, many problems

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jun 14 13:38:04 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 13:24 +0300, Jani Karlsson wrote:
> 1.0-test, I found the error it had... authentication was successfull,
> but it was trying to request /Maildir, although I had %h:%h/Maildir
> I was wanting /Maildir for shell (unix) users and homedir/[cur,new,tmp]
> for SQL-users. It tried to access
> /usr/local/virtual/test at test.net//Maildir/ and was stuck in some loop
> until that connection timed out.

How could I reproduce this? Dovecot shouldn't ever get stuck. Was it
dovecot-auth, dovecot master or imap process that got stuck?

> Error:
> denied resource overstep by requesting 17189568512 for RLIMIT_AS against

So it's trying to allocate 17GB of memory. Shouldn't really happen :)

> Also, dovecot starts only random, if it has to do something (like
> correct /var/run/dovecot permissions, it will always start), somehow it
> races too fast too many connections to MySQL, resulting:
> dovecot: Jun 14 12:46:45 Error: Auth process died too early - shutting down
> dovecot: Jun 14 12:46:45 Info: auth(default): mysql: Connected to (null)
> (postfix)
> dovecot: Jun 14 12:46:45 Error: auth(default):
> net_connect_unix(/var/run/dovecot/auth-worker.11918) failed: No such
> file or directory

This I've heard before. Should look into it..

> I find it yet not quite suitable for production use, as I can duplicate
> these exact same errors on another 64-bit (AMD64) Debian system.
> I am wondering if is this something related to 64-bit CPUs.

Yes, must be somehow related to 64bit systems. I just can't test them
myself currently..