[Dovecot] chroot directory question

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jun 14 13:13:11 EEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 17:07 -0400, Lisa C Boyd wrote:
> Looking in the maillog file for further error details gives me this:
>
>   dovecot: chroot directory no included in valid_chroot_dirs: /home/user
>
> Looking through the dovecot.conf file I see where it says not to add in
> home directories under valid_chroot_dirs if the users have access to
> those directories. So I'm stuck now as to what I need to add to the conf
> file and I'm a little confused as to why it works for my email account
> and not the other users. Everything with these user accounts is setup
> the same (same maildir format, etc.).

What userdb are you using? Do you really want to chroot users?

The warning in valid_chroot_dirs may be a bit overstated, as long as
Dovecot has no security holes there are no problems with just setting it
to "/home".

Sounds like you've "/./" in other users' home directory but not in your
own. That makes Dovecot chroot into the directory before the "/./".