[Dovecot] strip realms and force lowercasing of usernames?

Dan Hollis test3943395 at anime.net
Fri Jun 10 01:53:19 EEST 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 13:21 -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > What I want is for dovecot to strip realms and force lowercase of
> > usernames _before passing them to pop3-login or pam for authentication_
> > So if a user tries to login as "SoMEuSERNAme at msn.com" it actually
> > authenticates them as "someusername". Stripping the realm and lowercasing
> > the name _before checking it against the passwd/shadow files_.
> > Other pop3 servers like teapop have explicit support for this.
> Sounds pretty ugly and kludgy feature. If you used SQL database to store
> users, you could easily do this.

No more ugly and kludgy than default_mail_env.

All that's needed is something to mangle logins. In fact the logic would
be very similar to default_mail_env.

We don't use SQL database to store users and moving to such would incur
great time and effort (and require major reworking of all our mail
system). So it's a non-option.

Like I said, other pop3 servers like teapop have explicit support for
this. It would be nice if we could move to dovecot without loss of
functionality.

-Dan