[Dovecot] Dovecot development status v1.0

Cor Bosman cor at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 6 13:51:46 EEST 2005

> >This is what happens when a customer (without previously having used
> >dovecot) connects:
> >
> >A002 SELECT "INBOX"
> >A002 NO Internal error occured. Refer to server log for more information.
> >[2005-
> >05-31 17:56:36]
> >
> >The internal error is a 'quota exceeded'.
> >
> >I think at the very minimum someone should be able to delete email...
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Cor
>
> Cor,
>
> On occassion I have to temporarily increase a user's quota just to allow
>  them to connect and remove their email.

Well, this really is not an option for us. We have 200.000+ customers.
The administrative overhead is just too large.

> The problem as I see it, however, isn't specifically a Dovecot issue.
> the quotas are filesystem level quotas, and in order to move/delete/etc
> mail, the user would have to have persmissions to write files on the
> filesystem (which it does not).  Obviously having the imap/pop3 portions
> of dovecot running as root is not an option.

Well, it should be possible, after all UW can do it..and if they can...;)
To delete a file, theoretically there should be no writing necessary.
Just unlink the file and forget about updating indexes (btw, our indexes
are on a seperate filesystem without quotas!). Actually it seemed dovecot
wanted to create the dovecot-uidlist file, and barfed on not being able
to do that.

Cor