[Dovecot] Commercial support

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jul 26 02:07:04 EEST 2005

1.0 release is slowly (but surely :) getting nearer and I'd like to be
able to offer commercial support for it for those who want or need it.
I have a few different plans for how to do that, but I haven't really
decided yet what to do. So I thought I'd ask a few questions here to
see how much interest there is currently, which could help me make some
decisions sooner.

You should probably reply privately to me so this list won't get
spammed.

So, assume that Dovecot v1.0 will really be stable, will have real
documentation, and the support isn't going to be completely in hands of
just one or two guys.

I think there would basically be two types of support available:

1. Basic support

Guaranteed replies to questions within some time interval.
  - what response times? a few days?
  - phone support needed?
  - what would you be willing to pay for it?

2. Mission critical support

For those who *really* can't afford any unexpected downtime, and so
would be willing to pay more for quick response times. Problems divided
to different categories (eg. normal, high, critical) with different
response times.
  - what response times? a few days for normal, about one day for high,
less for critical?
  - sanctions?
  - customized modifications, kept up-to-date for new Dovecot versions?
  - what would you be willing to pay for it?

I'm not sure if there should be "outsourced email server maintenance"
option too. Or maybe some really low cost support for a limited number
of questions. Any other ideas, suggestions or tips? Did I miss
something important?

And finally, would you like to have a job related to Dovecot? :)