[Dovecot] 1.0-stable and nfs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jul 22 20:23:37 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 17:43 +0200, Cyril Feraudet wrote:
> At this time, I've 4 servers with Dovecot (ldap, same uid,
> Maildir, ...) behind 2 Alteon with
> filer (who do not permit to lock anything) to share mailboxs.
>
> I've configured both Alteon to send same clients to same server (if
> are up ;-))
> cause I don't know how mutch it cost to rebuild indexes

The index rebuilding itself doesn't take hardly any time at all. Also if
old indexes exist, they aren't rebuilt but rather just updated.

The biggest potential performance hit with losing indexes is losing
cache file. Clients which often request the same information from
mailbox (eg. mail headers) are faster if the information is already
available from Dovecot's cache file so it doesn't have to open each mail
separately. Webmails especially do that.