[Dovecot] Re: dovecot pop3s delivers new messages as old (unread) messages ...

James Sun jamjazzy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 06:52:31 EEST 2005

On 7/18/05, James Sun <jamjazzy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just set up dovecot on fedora core 3 with only pop3s protocol
> enabled.  On my client machine, I use fetchmail to get the mail and
> then go through procmail and eventually ready by mutt.
>
> Everything seems to work fine, except that all new emails are marked
> old unread emails (i.e., marked with 'O' flag instead of 'N').  This
> is annoying because some open source lists are so large that I really
> rely on the "N" flag to read my emails.
>
> I tested the same client setting with gmail and my isp (comcast) pop3
> accounts.  They work fine - new mails are marked as "N".  This makes
> me suspect dovecot is not set up correctly or something on the pop3
> server machine is not right.
>
> Anybody has an idea?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jun
>
> Here are more detailed info:
>
> -bash-3.00# rpm -qa | grep dovecot
> dovecot-0.99.13-3.FC3
>
> /etc/dovecot.conf:
> ----------------------------
> protocols = pop3s
> imap_listen = [::]
> pop3_listen = [::]
> imaps_listen = [::]
> pop3s_listen = [::]
> ssl_cert_file = /usr/share/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
> ssl_key_file = /usr/share/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
> login_dir = /var/run/dovecot-login
> login = imap
> login = pop3
> mbox_locks = fcntl
> auth = default
> auth_mechanisms = plain
> auth_userdb = passwd
> auth_passdb = pam
> auth_user = root
> auth_verbose = no
>
> .fetchmailrc on client machine
> --------------------------------------
> poll mypop.server.com
>        protocol pop3
>        user "jsun"
>        password "xxxx"
>        is jsun here
>        ssl

OK I dug further and seeming got closer to the root of the problem.

I tried to fetchmail directly to bsmtp file (--bsmtp <filename>) and
found out that the mail already has "Status: O" line, apparently
injected by dovecot or by fetchmail.  Since I put "no rewrite" to
.fetchmailrc, it is very likely dovecot injected "Status: O" to the
mail instead of fetchmail.

Does anybody know if this is the *expected* behavior that dovecot
inject "Status: O" line to every mail it delivers?  Note in all my
tests the orginal mails are put under the regular
/var/spool/mail/<user> file.  I did not do any preprocessing etc.  I
verified that right before dovecot delivers these email, there is no

Thanks in advance.

Jun