[Dovecot] Username mapping

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Wed Jul 6 11:32:10 EEST 2005

nodata wrote:
> Hello.
> We're using dovecot with mysql for authentication, with postfixadmin for
> the admin web interface.
>
> We are moving users from passwd file usernames to email at domain style logins.
>
> Is there a better way to allow both sets of usernames (old and new) to
> work with dovecot than by adding extra copies of rows to the mailboxes
> table and changing the username? i.e. does dovecot support some kind of
> username mapping or aliasing?
>
> Thanks a lot

Hi,

We do the same thing.  The easiest way to do it is to set it up as
normal, are old accounts start with 'dw' so you get a tree like this:

/Mailboxes/dw1234/Maildir/......
/Mailboxes/a-wing.co.uk/info/Maildir/......

To do this we use:
default_mail_env =
maildir:/mailboxes/%d/%n/Maildir:INDEX=/tmp/dovecot/indexes/%d/%n
(the indexes use /tmp because the servers use an NFS file store)

The %d is ignored if empty.  Mail on the old accounts come in on
dw1234 at our.mail.domain.com (usually forwarded from customer's real
domain) and exim strips the domain part before delivery.

Regards
Andrew

--
Andrew Hutchings (A-Wing) - Linux Guru