[Dovecot] 1.0-test75 and roadmap for v1.0

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jul 1 02:48:52 EEST 2005

On 1.7.2005, at 02:27, Chris Wakelin wrote:

> I'm still not convinced the cache file is shrinking properly for me.
> Do entries get expired after a set time at the moment (in 1.0-stable)?

No. I've been a bit lazy in updating 1.0-stable.. Committed this fix to
it now.

> Anyway, it would be nice to be able to configure the lifetime (e.g.
> may be less than a month). I've noticed that if you've got a lot of
> messages - and I'm being deliberately naughty with my INBOX ;) - doing
> a full search will lead to a big cache file, even though the user is
> less likely to read the oldest messages.

Hmm. I don't know .. For repeated header searches the cache will help a
lot since there's no need to read all the messages again.

Currently Dovecot does two types of caching. One is "cache for a week"
after which it will be dropped, another is "cache forever". These are
mostly done to differentiate between clients having local caches and
clients not having local caches. There are two rules that make a
cache-for-a-week rule change to cache-forever:
		/* a) nonordered access within this session. if client doesn't
		      request messages in growing order, we assume it doesn't
		      have a permanent local cache.
		   b) accessing message older than one week. assume it's a
		      client with no local cache. if it was just a new client
		      generating the local cache for the first time, we'll
		      drop back to TEMP within few months. */