[Dovecot] uw-imap and gnu-pop3d to dovecot transition/replacement

Jani Karlsson jani.karlsson at smilehouse.com
Tue Feb 22 08:14:10 EET 2005

Curtis Maloney wrote:
> I'm assuming you're using a test1.0-xx version?
Yes, funny how these got stripped from email.. anyway, platform is
Debian Linux (kernel 2.4.x, planning also to upg. to 2.6) I'm atm
testing that nightly stable from 2005/02/22

>> - need to get Dovecot run on another port the test-phase, ie 144 for
>> imap, 994 for IMAPs
>

>  From my understanding of the 1.0 config files, you should be able to
> put a "listen" line inside the "protocol imap {" section.  Also, a
> "ssl_listen" option could go in there.
>
> Someone else on the list want to double check me on this?
Yeah, would be nice to hear that too, I've tried this and result was
that it it listens Unencrypted (non-SSL) IMAP on both ports.
I've also tried to make protocol imaps {} but it complains about invalid
protocol.

> There is a section of the documentation Wiki covering migration from
> UW-IMAP.  There should be no reason for symlinks - dovecot can be told
> where to find mail boxes, if you haven't set/got the mail env in the
> user db.
Yeah, these instructions I've followed so far, but problems are with
making Dovecot to listen on different ports (and SSL on those alternate
ports).

>> Anything else I should know before trying this transition?
>> All help truely appreciated.
>

> In future, it often helps to remember to mention your OS version and
> Dovecot version when asking for help.  In the case of this query, there
> were config file format changes between 0.99 and 1.0... but with more
> involved bugs, it can matter a great deal more.
Yes, funny.. I thought I also putted these details in but I guess I
missed them afterall.

> Other than that, most people seem to find Dovecot a whole lot faster
> than UW-IMAP, though I have no basis for comparison - Dovecot is the
> first IMAP server I've installed, and I've seen no reason to wander...

Yeah, well I am running corporate mailserver so I don't do anything
without testing and comparing it first. Dovecot has been tested on
another similiar server for (alot faster then uw-imap)speed, now all
thats pending is getting it tested on production use (in different TCP
port) - testing machine doesn't have all those troublesome mailboxes in
it..  and finally just removing old software and switching dovecot's
ports so that it runs on production use.

Jani Karlsson