[Dovecot] mbox vs maildir

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Tue Feb 1 00:30:18 EET 2005

Rob Campbell wrote:
> Ok, that worked.  I moved /home/%u/.mailboxlist to /home/%
> u/mail/.subscriptions and now I can see all the folders under the IMAP
> section.  That was too easy.  None of the pages I viewed said that.

Ah.. that's what I was mentioning about subscriptions.  The "Migration" page I
  gave you a link to does mention this for UW-IMAP.

> There were a few pages with people posting their scripts to convert and
> make everything work but I just didn't feel comfortable doing all of
> that.

Wise move.  Don't run someone else's script if you don't understand it :)

> This was much simpler.  Now I just have to see what happens as
> far as when I start receiving email that are filtered to the mailboxes
> and everything should be set.  Thank you very much.  This has been a
> headache.

Not too much of a headache, I hope. :)

The thing to look out for with MDA filters is that your mail client knows to
check the folders being delivered to for new mail.  Most will only check INBOX
unless told otherwise.

In Thunderbird, you can set this in the context menu Properties on each
folder.  I'm not sure about other mail clients.

--
Curtis Maloney