[Dovecot] dovecot INSTALL

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Dec 30 22:10:58 EET 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 23:51 +0000, Tom Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just tried dovecot-stable-20051206.tar.gz.
> It takes me one additional day to get it work.
> >From INSTALL file,  it failed to miss the following installation steps:
>
> 1) needs to create the file /etc/pam.d/dovecot
> 2) needs to create the directory /etc/ssl/certs/ and /etc/ssl/private/,
>    configure doc/dovecot-openssl.cnf,
>    chmod +x doc/mkcerts.sh
>    doc/mkcerts.sh

Well, these are specific to your installation.. Not everyone uses PAM
and many people don't want self-signed certificates.

Anyway, INSTALL file's point is to get Dovecot installed. The
configuration documentation is elsewhere. The INSTALL file currently
refers to doc/configuration.txt, but that's a bit out of date. Hopefully
I'll manage to write some kind of newbie-user-friendly documentation to
Wiki, and I'll then add a link there.

> For pop3 client configuration, I wonder if it is OK for me to use:
>

>    #outlook-no-nuls:
>   #     Outlook and Outlook Express hang if mails contain NUL characters.
>   #     This setting replaces them with 0x80 character.
>   #   oe-ns-eoh:
>   #     Outlook Express and Netscape Mail breaks if end of headers-line is
>   #     missing. This option simply sends it if it's missing.
>   pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls, oe-ns-eoh
>
> or dovecot can only allow one such as:
>    pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls

It's a space-separated list. Don't add comma there (I added a
clarification of that to dovecot-example.conf, and also made it accept
commas anyway).