[Dovecot] new user setup trouble

Will Ling will at valleyfarmonline.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 23:32:32 EET 2005

Hi again,
 I am still trying to run Dovecot but persistently get the errors
Corrupted transaction log file and Lost transaction log file.
I cannot find any reference to this problem that will help, I have
checked the file permissions and locks and cannot see any obvious
cause.
Could somebody please advise what I might be doing wrong or direct me to
somewhere else that I can ask for or find help.

Below is some information about the problem.

The log file show the following when I attempt to log in:

Info: Dovecot v1.0.alpha5 starting up
Info: imap(will): Effective uid=501, gid=501
Info: imap(will): mbox: data=/home/will/mail/:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/will
Info: imap(will): mbox: root=/home/will/mail, index=/home/will/mail,
 inbox=/var/spool/mail/will
Info: imap-login: Login: user=<will>, method=PLAIN, rip=10.0.128.58,
 lip=10.0.128.55
Error: imap(will): Corrupted transaction log file /home
 /will/mail/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.log: record size too small (type=0x40,
  offset=24, size=0)
Error: imap(will):  /home/will/mail/.
 imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.log seq 2
Error: imap(will): Lost transaction log file /home/will/mail/.
 imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.log seq 2

My config file contains the following un commented lines:

protocols = imap
ssl_disable = yes
disable_plaintext_auth = no
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
mail_extra_groups = mail
mail_debug = yes
default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
protocol imap {
}
protocol pop3 {
}
auth_verbose = yes
auth default {
  mechanisms = plain
  passdb shadow {
  }
  userdb passwd {
  }
}

My file permissions are:

/var/spool/mail/
-rwxrwx---  will mail 2797 Dec 29 20:37 will

/home/will/mail
drwx------  will will 4096 Dec 29 20:47 .imap/

/home/will/mail/.imap
drwx------  will will 4096 Dec 29 21:07 INBOX/

/home/will/mail/.imap/INBOX
-rwxrwxrwx  will will 120 Dec 28 20:47 dovecot.index
-rw-------  will will 376 Dec 29 21:07 dovecot.index.log
-rw-------  will will 376 Dec 29 21:04 dovecot.index.log.2

The .imap and everything in it is created when I try to login, the three
dovecot.index are all completely empty.

If any more information is required, please let me know.

Regards,
Will

--
Will Ling