[Dovecot] Another "Too many files open" post

Remy Zandwijk remy.zandwijk at falw.vu.nl
Wed Dec 21 09:39:24 EET 2005

>>> I'm running Solaris 9 Sparc with Dovecot alpha 5 and using maildir
>>> format..  I noticed in the log file the following error:

We used to have this problem when we started using 1.0-stable. In the startup
script, I issue the plimit command:

'start')
         if [ -x $EXEC -a -f $CONF ]; then
                 echo "Starting Dovecot..."
                 $EXEC -c $CONF
                 sleep 2
                 plimit -n 8192,8192 `cat /var/run/dovecot/master.pid`
         else
                 echo "Starting Dovecot failed."
         fi
         ;;

The sleep is there sincs it takes a little while before the pid file appears.

-Remy