[Dovecot] Dovecot & pam_mkhomedir

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sun Dec 18 23:45:01 EET 2005

On Dec 18, 2005, at 6:23 pm, Stroller wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2005, at 5:56 pm, Pasi Sjoholm wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Stroller wrote:
>>
>>>     dovecot: Dec 16 19:05:00 Error: imap(ned):
>>> mkdir(/home/DOMAIN/ned/.maildir/cur) failed: Permission denied
>>>     dovecot: Dec 16 19:05:00 Error: imap(ned):
>>> mkdir(/home/DOMAIN/ned/.maildir/cur) failed: Permission denied
>>
>>> I can remedy this easily by changing permissions on /home &
>>> /home/DOMAIN to 777, but obviously that's undesirable. Any
>>> suggestions,
>>> please?

>> For me everything is working ok and pam_mkhomedir is making home
>> directories with correct umask (I have set this in
>> /etc/pam.d/{$service}).

Another question - what are your permissions on /home, please, Pasi?

I have no idea whether pam_mkhomedir should be called by dovecot-auth
or imap-login. It bothers me that the error messages in he logs above
are written to the mail.log, but apparently by the dovecot process,
which apparently should have permission to write to /home:

#  ps  -C imap-login -C dovecot -C dovecot-auth o euid,ruid,comm
  EUID  RUID COMMAND
     0     0 dovecot
     0     0 dovecot-auth
    97    97 imap-login