[Dovecot] writing an MDA, help me avoid corrupted indexes

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Thu Dec 15 00:06:12 EET 2005

Lee Howard wrote:
> Curtis Maloney wrote:
>
>> Have you checked out Dovecot's own LDA?
>
> No, but I just did, and it looks like exactly what I need... except that
> it doesn't support passwd-file auth.  Or am I missing that?

erm... it's not the place of the LDA to check the user's password.  Why would
you want to check their password for mail being delivered _to_ them?

> The website documentation on this matter is noticeably outdated.

Although it's been around for a while now, it's still considered quite new in
Dovecot, so this isn't entirely surprising.  Perhaps you'd like to contribute
your findings and tips once you're set up?

>> Do you, by chance, have your mail partition mounted 'noatime'?
>
> No, but I think that my indexing problem is that my self-made LDA/MDA is
> not following maildir spec in file naming and construction.  I'd prefer
> to use deliver if I could.

Ah, well... yes, I can see that could cause problems :)

Certainly, I'd go with Dovecot's own LDA instead of rolling your own.  Then you
know it makes filenames the way Dovecot likes, and get the bonus of updated indexes.

Can't wait until I get the chance to move to 1.0 (am still running 0.99 here :/
)  ... deliver, shared folders, oh the bliss! :)

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net