[Dovecot] Bugtracking system

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Dec 7 16:16:57 EET 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 08:04 -0500, John Peacock wrote:
> > I've thought about skipping Subversion and instead using one of those
> > distributed versioning systems, as soon as I can figure out which of
> > them are here to stay..
> >
> > GIT, Mercurial, Darcs or Bazaar-NG probably..
>
> I am not aware of the depth of the conversion tools from CVS to any of those (I
> see only Tailor, which was written for Darcs and can do conversions between the
> others), and I could make some comment about the lack of usage history behind
> all of those (they are all less than a year or two old).

That's pretty much why I haven't yet changed to anything. They're all
pretty new and I can wait a bit more to see which ones will actually
work.

> Philosophically speaking, Dovecot is basically one person - you - and so the
> utility of a fully distributed VCS is really questionable.  Making it easier to
> have others mirror your code and provide patches is, as far as I am concerned,
> secondary to providing you with the tools you need to manage the project.

I'm happy with using CVS, so the only reason why I'd want to switch to
something else is if it benefits other potential developers. And since
I'm not going to give direct commit access to anyone anytime soon,
distributed versioning systems would be the best choice.

> I'd
> be happy to take this offline and set up a testbed for Subversion from a
> converted CVS repository so you could try it out.

I use Subversion all the time at work. I haven't seen any practical
benefits for it over CVS. Changesets are nice, but not important enough
to bother with switching to SVN temporarily.