[Dovecot] Bugtracking system

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed Dec 7 02:23:13 EET 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 08:09:09PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Still would be a good idea. Hmm. Last I tried, Trac didn't want to get
> installed without SVN. Mantis requires MySQL and I'd rather avoid that.

There is also RT, which is the standard in the Perl world; here's some screenshots:

	http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/screenshots/3.0/

and can use MySQL, PostgreSQL, *and* Oracle as a backend.  There are pre-built
packages for most distros:

	http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?InstallationGuides

and I would be happy to perform a custom install if so desired (I might even be
able to act as a host).

However, I'd also like to throw in a good word for Subversion.  Unlike CVS,
Subversion handles renames and moves, which makes it very easy to reorganize a
large project like dovecot.  Subversion is much easier to mirror (using tools
like SVK), so that other people can easily develop local patches for submission
to the main development stream.  SVK (a Perl-based front-end to Subversion) also
handles automatic merging from branches (Subversion has better merging than CVS,
too, but it isn't automated).

There is a standalone application, cvs2svn, which can convert a CVS repository
(including tags and branches) into a Subversion repository, so no history would
be lost.  Again, I am happy to act as support for Subversion on the dovecot list.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group