[Dovecot] default_mail_env problems

Neil Marjoram n.marjoram at adastral.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Oct 20 13:46:06 EEST 2004

I am having problems setting the default mail environment.#

I am using Fedora Core 2 with version dovecot-0.99.10.5-0.FC2

My users all have an NFS mounted home directory, and all mail is
delivered to ~Mail/.mailbox it is all mbox format.

I would like to put the indexes on the local system in
/var/indexes/{username}.

So I set these parameters for default_mail_env :

mbox:~/Mail/:INBOX=~/Mail/.mailbox

Which produced the error :

imap(test): stat() failed with mbox file ~/Mail/.mailbox: No such file
or directory

I set the mail environment back to default, linked inbox to .mailbox in
the ~/Mail directory and all worked fine.

Is there a better way to do this ?

I would like to put the indexes on the local system in
/var/indexes/{username}, so I decided to set:

default_mail_env = INDEX=/var/indexes/%d/%n

and got this error:

imap(test): Failed to create storage with data: INDEX=/var/indexes//test
dovecot: child 9142 (imap) returned error 89

I also tried :

default_mail_env = INDEX=/var/indexes/%u

And got the same error.

I guessed at permissions, so I tried changing the ownership to dovecot
and then test and then root and then 777, but I still get this error.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

Many thanks,

Neil.

--
Neil Marjoram.