[Dovecot] installing dovecot on Mac OS X

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Wed Oct 20 23:11:43 EEST 2004

* Timo Sirainen (tss at iki.fi) wrote:
> On 20.10.2004, at 21:48, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>
> ># Note that this file is consulted when the system is running in
> >single-user
> ># mode.  At other times this information is handled by one or more of:
> ># lookupd DirectoryServices
> ># By default, lookupd gets information from NetInfo, so this file will
> ># not be consulted unless you have changed lookupd's configuration.
> ># This file is used while in single user mode.
>
> Actually userdb = passwd doesn't actually use /etc/passwd. It uses
> getpwent() function which apparently in OSX uses lookupd which uses
> Netinfo.
>
> So, passdb = pam, userdb = passwd should work anyway :)

I managed to make it work using the pam.d/imap that was installed by
Postfix Enabler. The one suggested in the wiki does not work:

top% cat dovecot
auth    required        pam_unix.so nullok
account required        pam_unix.so

but this one works:

top% cat imap
# pop3, imap, smtp : auth account password session
auth       required       pam_nologin.so
auth       sufficient     pam_securityserver.so
auth       sufficient     pam_unix.so
auth       required       pam_deny.so
account    required       pam_permit.so
password   required       pam_deny.so
session    required       pam_uwtmp.so

Thanks a lot.

Alan Schmitt

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.
.O.