[Dovecot] imap idle on non-inbox?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 19 02:22:44 EEST 2004

On 18.10.2004, at 19:21, Johannes Berg wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 13:08 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> IDLE extension itself doesn't really support this feature. I have
>> thought about making Dovecot send client STATUS notifications for
>> mailboxes which have changed, but I don't know if clients would
>> actually
>> use it.
>
> I know I'd put support for using that that into offlineimap, since
> continually syncing with it is really killing performance.

Well, I don't think Dovecot is ready yet to have that feature.
Currently you'd have to do some ugly things to figure out what
mailboxes to keep checking, and the checking itself might not be
pretty. You could write such plugin to do that of course. Shouldn't be
too difficult.

In my not-so-near-future plans I've been thinking about creating some
kind of mailbox list index which would be updated every time mailboxes
change. Checking changes from a single file should be pretty fast (and
it would make STATUS faster as well).

Anyway .. How is that feature useful with offlineimap? And why couldn't
you implement it by just making it send STATUS for each mailbox every
few minutes? Without the mailbox index that's pretty much the way it
would have to be done in Dovecot internally (unless you use dnotify
with maildir).