[Dovecot] Public folders / namespace documentation

Moe Wibble t1lt at bk.ru
Mon Oct 4 15:47:31 EEST 2004

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 11:38:27PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 3.10.2004, at 20:59, Moe Wibble wrote:
>
> >What I'd like to see would be fine grained permission management for
> >the
> >existing shared folders, so one can grant read/write/delete/etc.
> >privileges
> >separately to individual users. The 'dovecot-shared' file could serve
> >as
> >configuration file here. I imagine a simple format like:
>
> This is pretty much related to ACLs, and I think I should add support
> for different kinds of ACLs when I do it. Normal UNIX permissions,
> Posix ACLs and yes, dovecot-shared file ACLs. It needs some nice ACL
> API with different implementations and ways to layer them on top of
> each others so that operating system could force some checks and
> dovecot-shared file could make them more fine grained.

Yup, be sure to KISS, tho.

> Anyway, it's all post v1.0 stuff to me.

Makes sense. Dovecot should be rock-stable before that stuff comes in
because many consider it an enabling feat. for commercial deployment.
You don't want to leave a bad first impression on all those PHBs. ;)

For my own use I'm glad that r/w shared folders are finally doable 'cause
that's all I need right now. Thanks for that.