[Dovecot] Public folders / namespace documentation

Moe Wibble t1lt at bk.ru
Sun Oct 3 20:59:52 EEST 2004

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 02:43:45PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 27.9.2004, at 14:06, Keith Edmunds wrote:
>
> >Does Dovecot support public folders?
> >
> >I thought it may do via namespaces, but having searched the Wiki and
> >the
> >documentation, I can't find how namespaces are defined.
>
> Hmm. Yes, I suppose that would be possible nowadays with maildir. With
> mbox the problem is that if you're using multiple UIDs for users the
> index file permissions get set wrong. Unless you store indexes
> separately for each user.
>
> namespace public {
>   separator = .
>   prefix = Public.
>   location = maildir:/var/mail/public
> }
>
> You'll also need to create dovecot-shared file there with permissions
> and GID you want to use for created indexes and mails.
>
> Anyone have thoughts how to do this best with mboxes?

Personally I think the effort to implement such a thing would be better
spent on improving the existing shared folders. Does anyone really need to
do shared folders in mbox nowadays? (don't want to sound rude, if anyone
does please speak up)

What I'd like to see would be fine grained permission management for the
existing shared folders, so one can grant read/write/delete/etc. privileges
separately to individual users. The 'dovecot-shared' file could serve as
configuration file here. I imagine a simple format like:

user1 RWDC
user2 RW
default R

User1 would be allowed to read/write/delete/create-subdir,
user2 may read/write and default would be read-only.

Just an idea and my 2c :-)

best regards

moe