[Dovecot] Dovecot returns everything starting with "." as folder

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at debian.org
Sun May 30 01:51:32 EEST 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004, Christoph Hohmann wrote:

> Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > > I'm using dovecot imapd 0.99.10.5 from debian unstable and I
> > > noticed that dovecot returns everything in the maildir
> > > folder that starts with a "." as a folder as the result of
> > >
> > >   LIST "" "%"
> > >
> > > command without checking if it is really a maildir folder
> >
> > It's a bit useless to check it in most situations and it would just
> > cause extra disk I/O if system doesn't support struct dirent->d_type
> > field.. But since this has been asked often enough..:
> >
> > http://www.dovecot.org/patches/maildir-stat-dirs.patch
>
> How often do IMAP clients use the LIST commands, that this
> extra IO would cause significant slowdown?
>
> > You'd probably want to run autogen.sh + configure again, or just #define
> > HAVE_DIRENT_D_TYPE in config.h.
>
> I'm using the debian package.

# apt-get install fakeroot dpkg-dev
# apt-get source dovecot
# apt-get build-dep dovecot
$ cd dovecot-0.99.10.5
$ chmod +x debian/rules

(add the patch per Timos instructions)

change the 1st line of debian/changelog so the version is 0.99.10.5-1.1

$ fakeroot debian/rules binary
$ cd ..
$ apt-get moo

While I can add the patch to the official package, we really need to get
this version into sarge which will happen after 8 days.  If I upload a new
version, the timer gets reset and it will take 10 days from the time of
upload.

Debian users: my question is, is adding the patch worth the delay in
getting 0.99.10.5 into sarge?

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at debian.org>