[Dovecot] Re: Small change to make dovecot pop3 uw-imap migrationfriendly

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri May 28 15:06:31 EEST 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 03:55:03PM +0400, Oleg I. Vdovikin wrote:
> > 1. major: a UID that any client may have seen _MUST NOT_ change.
> >
>     Right.
>
> > This means that a formatting string MUST ONLY have an impact on newly
> > arriving mail.
>     No, there is no need to store the exact formatting string with each
> message.

He did not say that the formatting string is stored with each message; but
there is a requirement that the *UID string* is stored with each message.

i.e. changing the format string does not change the UIDs of existing
messages; or put another way, the format string is only applied the first
time that a new message is seen.

Given that, you could apply *any* UID to messages when you import them, and
the format string will only affect subsequently-delivered messages.