[Dovecot] Re: Small change to make dovecot pop3 uw-imap migration friendly

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri May 28 10:43:59 EEST 2004

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> writes:

> On 27.5.2004, at 16:29, Oleg I. Vdovikin wrote:
>
>>     So, the only thing I've discovered is what POP3 uidls are
>> different than ones used in the uw-imap. Luckily, the difference are
>> only in the format string used in uidl response. So, I've made the
>> following change in the code
>
> Actually I just wrote a similiar patch a few days ago .. :)
> http://dovecot.org/patches/pop3-uidl-uwimap.patch it's against .10.5
> which changed a bit.

[...]

> I was thinking about making this fully configurable, ie. a config option
> which would accept printf-like string. "%v.%u" "%08xv%08xu" or
> something. Or maybe it's not worth it, I'd have to look at other POP3
> servers to see what different kinds of UIDs they use..

Question: will this apply to all UIDs or just to those for new mail? I
can't tell from the code fragment.

There are two requirements:

1. major: a UID that any client may have seen _MUST NOT_ change.

This means that a formatting string MUST ONLY have an impact on newly
arriving mail.

2. minor: those who migrate from UWImap would like to use UWImap UIDs
   for existing mail.

This could be achieved by a little program that runs once per mailbox
after the initial switch.

And note that the client must not care about the UIDL format as long as
it's legal, so anything beyond "importing" the UWIMAP UIDL is bogus.

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95