[Dovecot] IMAP views - and things to make Outlook Express not suck so much

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Fri May 28 03:07:48 EEST 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 07:31:30PM -0400, Geo Carncross wrote:
> > Just as an implementation point; it would be good if the specification
> > language was Sieve.
>
> This could require the IMAP server fetch the entire contents of a
> message before processing something as simple as a FETCH FLAGS command.

That would be a naive implementation.

> Also, much of sieve would be otherwise useless (fileinto, keep, etc).

The rationale is this: if a Sieve-based delivery agent exists,
you'll be using some kind of frontend tool to write configuration
filters.  It is a big usability win if the delivery filter language,
and thus the interface, has the same logic as the virtual folder
specification language and interface.

> It'd also require sieve be available to dovecot, which it isn't (yet).

Indeed.  If there was a dovecot-API-based delivery agent, I hope it
would speak Sieve.  Such a thing lurks at the back of my mind in
the stack marked "interesting projects".

Joshua Goodall                           "as modern as tomorrow afternoon"
joshua at roughtrade.net                                       - FW109