[Dovecot] dovecot immediately exits on Fedora 2

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Wed May 26 23:40:30 EEST 2004

David Keegel wrote:

> I suggest tail /var/log/maillog as the place to look for
> errors and messages from dovecot.

Yes, while I was debugging uw-imap I made use of that.
And looking through the maillog I found messages like:

May 25 16:03:42 bothner imap-login: Can't load private key file
/usr/share/ssl/private/dovecot.pem: error:0B080074:x509 certificate
routines:X509_check_private_key:key values mismatch

So that's a pretty strong hint what to look at ...

Thanks for the hint - which in retrospect I should have been able to
figure out myself.  Ah well.

I was able to debug uw-imap (by inserting extra syslog calls),
and determined the problem was a missing configuration file for
PAM (pluggable authentical modules).  I now have uw-imap working,
so getting dovecot working is no longer urgent.  Of course I prefer
to use the "vendor-supported" packages, but I think I might stick
with UW-imap until it is time for Fedora 3 - there doesn't seem to
be any reason to fiddle with things until then.
--
	--Per Bothner