[Dovecot] Why the name dovecot?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat May 22 05:24:12 EEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 19:06, Sven Kirmess wrote:
> Why is docecot called dovecot? Actually, nobody likes these "rats with wings". ;-)
>
> Timo, can we know that or is it a secret?

Well, I think the original discussion was in silcnet #silc where I asked
some naming suggestions for my new IMAP server, but I don't have it
logged. I found something from IRC logs though:

18.07.2002 20:13 <@Bostik> I tried to suggest him naming if "Dovecot",
but don't know if it's good enough for him
18.07.2002 20:14 <@cras> bostik: too bad dovecot.org is taken, but of
course i could always do dovecot-imapd.org
..
23.07.2002 18:54 <@cras> but the name .. would Dovecot be good..? :)
bostik's idea btw.
23.07.2002 21:07 -!- cras changed the topic of #irssi to: design help
please :) http://procontrol.fi/dovecot/

BTW. much of Dovecot was initially designed that summer while jogging.