[Dovecot] POP (dot) locks

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Tue May 18 15:10:46 EEST 2004

Hello,

just to soothe my paranoia from many years of qpopper usage, which
enforces solitary access to a POP mailbox. Only one login per user is
possible at the same time and if a session terminates w/o qpopper being
properly notified it will remain locked for some time, 30 minutes by
default.

With dovecot (0.99.10.4) one can login multiple times (using POP,
with IMAP of course this comes as no surprise :) and thus I
presume this bit from the configuration:
---
# Should we create dotlock file even when we want only a read-lock? Setting
# this to yes hurts the performance when the mailbox is accessed simultaneously
# by multiple processes, but it's needed for reliable reading if no other
# locking methods are available.
#mbox_read_dotlock = no
---
means that if the only other reading accesses to a (mbox style in this
case here) mailbox are via other dovecot processes everything will be fine?

Regards,

Christian Balzer
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services