[Dovecot] Dovecot vs. Courier-Imap

Kimura Fuyuki fuyuki at hadaly.org
Sun May 16 07:27:08 EEST 2004

At Sun, 16 May 2004 05:36:45 +0200,
Marten Lehmann <lehmann at cnm.de> wrote:

> How many people are actively working on both projects? Who is using
> dovecot? In which environments? Has someone moved from Courier-Imap to
> Dovecot? Which of both has the smaller footprint (e.g. memory usage)?

I've experienced at least four imap daemons on FreeBSD; UW's, Cyrus,
Courier and (of course) Dovecot. Forget about the first one. Cyrus's
would be most popular and is actually quite fast, but I don't like
some of its behavior details. Courier-IMAP is works well on Maildir
except that it is fairly slow since it never caches mail indexes. (Is
it still true for recent versions?)

My current choice is Dovecot. It works just fine more than a year. It
is so fast and eats little memory.

In short, you should read a blurb by the author himself. It's not a
bubble.

http://www.dovecot.org/

-- fuyuki