[Dovecot] Is Dovecot ready for production use?

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Mon May 10 20:38:56 EEST 2004

Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm currently running RH 9 with postfix, uw-imap and MailScanner.  I want to
> install Fedora Core 2 (when it comes out next week) with postfix, dovecot
> and amavisd.  I'm unhappy with the problems I'm having with MailScanner,
> with the difficulty I've had with authentication as I am currently
> configured, and want to move to Maildir instead of mbox.
>
> That being said, is dovecot stable enough yet for production use?  I only
> have four users on my home linux box, but I personally get around 500 emails
> a day (that fedora list is *busy*).

I've "backported" the latest Red Hat development packages of Dovecot to
Red Hat 9 (simply rebuilt the RPM), and have 150+ users using it. My
server runs Sendmail (milter plugins require it for now), Dovecot (using
Maildir), SpamAssassin (via procmail), ClamAV (via milter), and Anomy
Sanitizer (via procmail). There are a couple of customflags annoyances
between Mozilla based mail clients and Dovecot running Maildir, however
it has otherwise proven quite stable in my enivronment. We process about
5-6000 mails per day.

HTH,
-Rick

Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc.