[Dovecot] Mailbox archiving

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Mon Jun 28 21:42:28 EEST 2004

Leslie Viljoen wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I have a strange problem with Dovecot - deleted messages never seem to get
> deleted on the server! Deleted messages just seem to get a 'T' at the end of
> them on the server and remain there, so user mail boxes continue to grow to
> incredible sizes. Is this a setting I must change somewhere? Must I delete
> these files manually?

This is an MUA issue, not a Dovecot issue.

This could be handled either via a script on the server side:
I run this nightly via cron (as root):

find /home/*/Maildir/ -name "*2,*T*" -type f -exec rm {} \;

Or ensure that your mail client is set to expunge or compact folders on
exit. Which MUA are your users using?

In Mozilla or Thunderbird, the setting is:

Under Account Settings, Server Settings (for each account) - check:
'Clean Up ("Expunge") Inbox on Exit'

Other clients may differ, but usually "Clean Up", "Compact", or
"Expunge" are the terms utilized.

HTH,
-Rick

Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc.