[Dovecot] Locked index file

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 28 12:48:03 EEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 16:57, Kevin Cramer wrote:
> I have docevot 0.99.10.6 installed on OpenBSD 3.5 and I'm using it
> with Squirrelmail.  I tried to empty my Trash folder and it timed out.
> It looks like the process or thread died but the lock wasn't removed:
>
> Jun 25 09:16:30 plato imap(kevin): Timeout while waiting for release of shared fcntl() lock for index file /home/kevin/Maildir/.Trash/.imap.index

When all processes holding fcntl lock have either dropped it or died by
themselves, the lock is gone. If all the processes really have died,
this is operating system bug.

> How can I free this lock?  I have tried stopping and re-starting
> dovecot already but that didn't help.

Restarting Dovecot doesn't kill imap/pop3 processes that are running at
the time. Did you check that they're all gone?

> Also, is there something I
> should do to prevent this in the future?  The OpenBSD package sets the
> default locking to fcntl for mbox.  I'm not sure if that is the
> setting that also controls the locking mechanism on the index files.

It doesn't affect index files, they're always fcntl locked.

Probably not much you can do to prevent this, if this was because some
Dovecot process got stuck.. Also 0.99.10.6 indexes still don't work too
well with OpenBSD, so it might be related to that.