[Dovecot] Locked index file

Kevin Cramer kevin at kcramer.siscom.net
Fri Jun 25 16:36:10 EEST 2004

I have docevot 0.99.10.6 installed on OpenBSD 3.5 and I'm using it
with Squirrelmail.  I tried to empty my Trash folder and it timed out.
It looks like the process or thread died but the lock wasn't removed:

Jun 25 09:16:30 plato imap(kevin): Timeout while waiting for release of shared fcntl() lock for index file /home/kevin/Maildir/.Trash/.imap.index

How can I free this lock?  I have tried stopping and re-starting
dovecot already but that didn't help.  Also, is there something I
should do to prevent this in the future?  The OpenBSD package sets the
default locking to fcntl for mbox.  I'm not sure if that is the
setting that also controls the locking mechanism on the index files.

Thanks,
Kevin