[Dovecot] 1.0-test21

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jun 22 07:30:24 EEST 2004

On 22.6.2004, at 07:04, Andrew Boothman wrote:

>> With maildir the problem is that once it's modified by Dovecot, I
>> can't know if someone else didn't modify it at the same time. So
>> after I change anything it, I'll have to resync the whole maildir
>> again, just in case.
>
> Might it be possible to have a flag in dovecot's config that would
> allow for the case when the only change that could happen to a Maildir
> is the writing of a new file into new/?

Sure, but that's the beginning on the way for it to be completely
different mail format :) Next one would be "keep flag states only in
index, don't bother renaming the maildir files", then comes "just keep
the filenames named as UID so we don't need to waste memory for maildir
filenames". Then it's pretty much what I had in mind for my own mailbox
format..