[Dovecot] 1.0-test21

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Tue Jun 22 04:44:13 EEST 2004

Farkas Levente wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> I recently saw some benchmarks (measuring system load) comparing
>> Dovecot mbox, maildir and Cyrus. Dovecot was much slower than I
>> thought, Cyrus was many times faster in most tests. Dovecot with mbox
>> was also much faster than with maildir, even though my 0.99.10 mbox
>> code is pretty bad.
>

> IMHO the performace issue and mainly the system load peeks are very
> important!
> what's more if cyrus faster than dovecotm, than it's hard to argue for
> dovecot (since cyrus is more feature rich).

That last statement is arguable.  cyrus-imap has some nice capabilities.
  But if you use procmail then it's no contest who is going to win!
;)

But I seem to remember that their indexes had an achilles heal.  If you
(re)moved an email file via filesystem then the indexes were badly
corrupted and there was little you could do with that mail directory
again.  I don't think that this is proper behaviour for imap servers
under a unix environment.

That said, I suspect that cyrus used their indexes as a means of
providing some rudimentary search results for a give key and an array of
file inodes for the correlating email messages in maildir.  This would
store the locations in the file inode table, making for a nice speedy
access of files.  Hence, the removal of a file would corrupt their inode
lookup table...