[Dovecot] POP3 LAST command?

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Wed Jun 16 10:41:56 EEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 03:03:37PM +0900, Christian Balzer wrote:
> any plans to support this in the future? Seems the inability to
> use LAST breaks that Yahoo remote mailbox slurper thing, not that
> I care too much about that, but some mail clients might miss it
> as well. ;)

This is a prehistoric feature, and I think it's a bad idea to include it.

(It was in RFC1460, removed in RFC1725 *eight* years ago, and the current
POP3 spec is RFC1939)

All mail clients should be able to use UIDL to detect new mail; LAST was
removed because it's conceptually broken (i.e. it assumes that conceptually
your mailbox consists of N read mails followed by M unread mails, which
often is not the case in real life)

Regards,

Brian.