[Dovecot] review of my configuration

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Wed Jun 16 03:41:03 EEST 2004

Over the last week I've set up dovecot and imap and imaps support.

I've even tried to break it but it's been doing very well.

Now I'm trying to set up a webmail interface.  Rather than use the
common squirrelmail, I thought I would try openwebmail.  Mainly because
it's written in perl, of which I am a big fan.

However, I ran into some errors in openwebmail that actually may tie
back to dovecot.  Here's how:

dovecot configuration
userdb = /etc/passwd
passdb = pgsql....
---this allows me to use the $HOME, uid, gid from the passwd file and
not have to carry two copies of it (/etc/passwd and pgsql)

However, under openwebmail I don't seem to have this option as they are
really determined to require a home, uid, gid for each user that logs
in.  As witnessed by the following line:

Tue Jun 15 20:23:34 2004 - [31572] (unknown) tallison - userinfo error -
auth_pgsql.pl, ret -3, Can't execute SQL statement: ERROR:  column "uid"
does not exist

Sure looks familiar doesn't it?  (see, it's relevant!)

Since I was thinking that maybe it might be interesting to do some email
set up to support multiple domains and users some day, and I want to try
out the openwebmail sooner than that.  I'm getting the impression that
it might be easier if I just made the leap today and started to
reconfigure everything for multiple domain hosting and all the cool stuff.

Now, I can probably muddle through this without too much internal
damage.  But I keep getting stuck on one point.

How can I filter the delivery of email like I do with procmail, when I
am delivering mail to many users, none of whom have a /etc/passwd entry?
  Are there any alternative ideas on how to do this?