[Dovecot] 'append aborted'

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Sat Jun 12 01:44:15 EEST 2004

Tom Allison wrote:

>> I'm copying all my archives from one imap server on one machine to the
>> imap-ssl dovecot server on another machine.
>>
>> After a bit, there's an error that's tossed up on my mozilla client
>> that says the imap server couldn't complete the operation with the
>> message append aborted.
>>
>> It keeps popping up after anything from 50 to 300 emails.
>>
>> Last night I was able to move ~12000 emails from one machine to the
>> other without the ssl enabled.  Any hints on what to look for?
>>

> This problem exists with or without ssl login.
>
> I'm assuming that I either have a really messed up email (it is my spam
> archive).  Do I really have to move 7000 emails one at a time???  :)

This is painfully elusive.

I get nothing in the logs on either machine.  :(

When I get the error from the mail client, I find find an email that
duplicates the error consistently.  But there's no logging on either
imap server.

When I shutdown mozilla and login anew, the problem goes away for a bit.
  But another email will generate it again....

It's only in one folder.

Unless someone else runs into this, I think I'm kind of special...